Tuesday, September 4, 2007

IED Courtyard - Descriptive Essay.

IED Courtyard
Descriptive Writing by: Darvesh Karim, M.Ed Programme 2009 (Third Draft) – Aug. 25, 2007
On a beautiful morning one day, I was standing on the top floor of AKU-IED, which is a square multi-storey building with a grassy courtyard in the middle. To observe something, one should have a bird’s eye view as well as the ability to clearly describe what one observes. So coming slowly downstairs from the top floor, the courtyard was right under my full sight. It was very artistically separated in pathways and green enclosures, while four interconnected buildings of AKU-IED are on each side and courtyard is accessible through specified pathways. Rest of its surrounding has been covered with railings, so that only the prescribed pathways could be used.
There were different flowers and plants, but the first and the most beautiful thing I noticed was the plant in the middle of the courtyard which looked like a colorful fountain surrounded by stepped-up bricks around it. Secondly, the beautiful greenery, small and big plants and colorful flowers were giving a pleasant and attractive view. I noticed many flowers which were quite new to me and I realized that every thing exists around us but to know and to feel them we need an exploratory observation. Now, when I was asked to observe carefully and sharply, I was exploring a new, interesting and beautiful world around me. This feeling of realization strengthened further after noticing a shiny-green fly on an identical leaf, which made me think how a fly can be so beautiful. Furthermore, it made me realize that association with the attractive and dominating environment makes its allies the same.
There were some chairs appropriately placed in every corner of the courtyard welcoming us to have some rest, relax and to feel the natural beauty of colorful flowers and plants. Thinking of that feeling I stepped in the courtyard to have a closer observation and it was of course in my mind to walk barefoot on the grass for a while to refresh my mind. However, when I paced in the pathway to the courtyard, two sign boards were smiling towards me saying, “Please keep away from grass”, therefore, disheartened, but to get pleasure from the enjoyable wind blow which was giving a pleasant feelings, I had to approach a nearby chair under the shade of a small tree and sank in it. An interesting thing I noticed was walking on the grass was prohibited but spitting pan on the grass was most probably allowed, as I noticed the stains of pan on the ground. Which signifies that every individual is the part of environment and we all have to play our positive role to maintain a good physical shape and healthy environment around us, but as a general behavior we forget to play our positive role which causes obstruction for a healthy environment?
However, I assume the courtyard of IED can be used to relax, to rest and most importantly keeping a sharp eye on every one who enter or leave IED. I state this because of its location from where the floors and entrances/exits are very much visible.
I have never been to IED in the evening but I imagine that the place must look very romantic, keeping the appropriate lighting system and separate seating arrangements in mind.
I noticed many flower-posts in the courtyard and I guess that this place is also used as a nursery for the whole IED campus. A new technique I observed here was that in order to help the weak plants grow; the gardener had fixed a stick in the middle of the pot. This was done so that the plant may grow-up with the patronage of that stick. I realized the proverb here that “necessity is the mother of invention”.
Finally, I praise the artistic approach and professional excellence of the gardener/caretaker whose attention enhanced the beauty of this squared place of IED, the courtyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION

  THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION Darvesh Karim   Attending a recent social gathering in Gilgit-Bal...