Thursday, June 10, 2010

How did I join AKU-IED?

THE UNCERTAINITY

In central Hunza among the teachers, it use to be their utmost desire to become AKU-IED graduates and of course it was also my dream and ambition to gain professional training of management and teaching learning process from AKU-IED. Hence, with great hopes I appeared in admission test, then for an interview and delivered a demo lesson. Finally, I got the admission offer letter from The Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development on June 08, 2007 saying that I become on their standard and criteria for admission. On my success and selection I thanked God-Almighty. I had plenty of time for the preparation and for the planning as I was asked to join the university in the first week of August 2007.


It was my understanding that successful candidates are financed by PDCN Gilgit and they have to just sign an agreement to serve the institute for a certain period after completion of the course. It was no problem for me as I assume PDCN is a reputed and excellent educational institution in Gilgit-Baltistan and joining this institution was of course an honor for me. So; on June 08, 2007 very happily I received my result and admission offer letter. How much I was delighted and cheerful, I cannot express my feeling of pleasure in words.

Now it was the time to receive the compliments and good wishes from my friends, family members and from all the community members in particular and from the whole villagers in general. I was feeling myself flying in the air, while receiving the wishes. At the other hand, I was also preparing to join AKU-IED. I was involved in different community and social activities, and it was the time to hand over the responsibilities. First of all I called the meeting of Karimabad Business Association, of which I was the Honorary General Secretary because of a small family business in Karimabad, and I informed the quorum about my selection and handed over all the responsibilities to an another member of the Association. The association arranged a farewell party.

I was the Vice Principal of Hasegawa Memorial Public School – a private English medium school – and according to the service rules of the institution, resigning employees should append their resignation one month earlier, so keeping that condition in mind I submitted my resignation in the last week of June. Principal and my school colleagues arranged a farewell party. Simply to say that day by day I was burning all my boats of survival in Hunza.

The final boat was my Convenorship of Aga Khan Conciliation and Arbitration Panel for Karimabad-Altit. I informed the regional board about the selection and handed over the required information and responsibilities. The panel colleagues also arranged a farewell party. So finally I burnt the last boat.

I was getting the praise and wishes from all around while I was also releasing myself from the responsibilities I was engaged in. Meanwhile I was anxiously waiting for the call from PDCN to sign the agreement bond which was getting late.

From June 08 to July 08 all these celebrations took place and I really enjoyed the days withy my family members and friends. Those days I use to smile even there is not a situation to smile. However, the tension was increasing within me day by day as I was not getting any response from PDCN Gilgit. Finally this period of joy got over and the situation become fade when there was a community based presentation session on July 8, 2007, which was to be presented by Dr. Mola Dad Shafa, Head PDCN Gilgit. After the gathering, I met Dr. Shafa and asked him that I am anxiously waiting for the call. Dr. Moladad Shafa stared at me and exclaimed that why I was waiting? I told him that as I have qualified the M.Ed. test and I am waiting for your call to sign the agreement bond. Dr. Moladad Shafa informed me that the private school candidates are supposed to be the self financed candidates and they directly approach AKU-IED with their tuition and hostel fees. PDCN does not financially support them and what else he was telling me I was now totally speechless and became absent minded. I was unable to hear his words and was just nodding my head without understanding, as all the burnt boats were appearing one by one in my mind.

I had already resigned from the services and enjoyed the farewell parties. I had no other choice than just getting out of my home town, but I was not hopeless yet because I believe in ‘Pevaste reh shajer say ummeed-e-bahar rakh’. I had the full month of July to explore the possibilities for getting admission in AKU-IED. So, I approached through email with request for educational scholarship to management of AKU-IED in Karachi and PDCN Gilgit. They were kind enough to approve my request and finally they agreed to sponsor my studies. My deep hearted gratitude goes to Dr. Sadruddin Pardhan, Director Outreach AKU-IED and Dr. Moladad Shafa, Head PDCN Gilgit for their support and guidance which enabled me to fulfill my utmost desire and dream to become AKU-IED graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION

  THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION Darvesh Karim   Attending a recent social gathering in Gilgit-Bal...