Monday, August 9, 2010

Me and my teaching Career - Darvesh Karim

Me and My Teaching Career – Darvesh Karim


• B.A (Karachi University)

• B.Ed. (Allama Iqbal Open University)

• M. A (Political Science from Karachi University)

• M.Ed. (Aga Khan University –Institute for Educational Development in 2009 – Educational Leadership and Management)

• Computer Courses (Various Institutions)

• Three Cambridge IT Awards (Cambridge University through British Council Islamabad).

My educational journey as a teacher starts almost 13 years back in September 1997, when I had initiated a computer institution – High Mountains Computer Institute - HMCI – in Karimabad Hunza as a pioneer institute in the valley to impart modern technological skills and knowledge which I had gained in Karachi during my study, to the young generation of the area.

While managing the said computer institution, I got an offer from the management of Hasegawa Memorial Public School Karimabad Hunza in 1999 which is a well reputed English medium school, to join as a (computer) teacher. I accepted the offer and my initial appointment with the said school was as a teacher, then promoted and assigned administrative tasks as an admin officer along-with my casual teaching and finally positioned as Principal of the school. During this period (1999 – 2007), I endeavored to gain insights into the students' learning psychology from in-class and off-class communications with them so as to bring something new for each lesson and I gained much experience of school leadership and management.

However, the origin of my intense interest in education, an interest which has now evolved into an aspiration and a career in the field, happened during my undergraduate studies (B.Ed). A workshop facilitated by the two young graduates from AKU-IED changed my understanding of education and, together with it, the course of my life as well. Those graduate students were young, vigorous, and highly intelligent, demonstrating impressive teaching expertise. In particular, I was fascinated by their unique teaching methodology which they had flourished at AKU-IED. Through their teaching I came to realize that education should be dominated by advanced concepts, assisted by effective teaching strategies, both of which are vitally important for bringing out a greater social role from education. Education represented for me a field in which I can achieve more satisfying personal development. So, a strong inner desire and a question aroused in my mind at the time that will I be fortunate enough to get a chance to study in AKU-IED, so that I could be able to transform myself to a professional in education like these two young fellows?

With this inspiration and particularly the university’s powerful pedagogical resource, vibrant intellectual atmosphere and a comprehensive curriculum, (I had heard about) I was very much eager to get a chance of studying at AKU-IED. The year 2007 proven itself the luckiest year for me, when I was selected for the M.Ed course at AKU-IED and I assume it the fulfillment of my inner desires and the response to my earlier question which was eagerly aroused in my mind. My option for Educational Leadership and Management course was motivated by my strong interest in the application of modern teaching and leading methodologies and educational management institutions and especially the integration of information technology, in the field of education and in the nature of a series of revolutionary changes resulting thereof. My final thesis as an M.Ed. student is also on the same line which is exploring head and deputy head teachers’ attitude towards using computers in education.

2 comments:

  1. Your reflection on different incidents of your life journey are importan as it helps to know how one can make meaning from his/her own life incidents.
    Zaheer Abbas (Skardu) AKU-IED Karachi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflection on the incidents of your life journey is important for many reasons. for instance, it helped me to make meaning from my own life incidents.
    Zaheer Abbas (Skardu) AKU-IED Karachi

    ReplyDelete

THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION

  THE KNEE JOINT PAIN IN GILGIT-BALTISTAN - AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION Darvesh Karim   Attending a recent social gathering in Gilgit-Bal...